This is a summary of the board games that are seeing my most interest, gameplay, hobby time, funding and enjoyment in 2018. This year my time painting models has reduced compared to previous years, with kickstarter arrivals becoming more focused on expanding my existing favourite games.
1. Lord of the Rings LCG – i took a few months break, but i am back solo playing consistently again since May. This year i bought Grey Havens, Heirs of Numenor, and Wilds of Rhovanion.
2. City of Kings – has become a favourite new game since its arrival. It is fairly quick to set up and get playing and rules are easy to follow despite running two heroes. This is a wonderful game and i backed the kickstarter character expansions earlier this year.
3. Everdell – a new arrival via kickstarter and has immediately become one of the groups favourite games. It combines simple mechanics with deeper combinations and the artwork is stunning. I have now backed this for myself along with the expansion.
4. Gloomhaven – made its return as the sunday group game of choice, replacing Kingdom Death that was just not engaging the group as much as expected. Whilst it has lost a little of its original shine it always provides a great afternoons play.
5. Sword & Sorcery – a welcome return to the painting table during the summer holidays, and with news of some new content via kickstarter by the end of the year. I also picked up the Arcane Portal books.
6. Thunderstone Quest – a great new addition to the Thunderstone series and i am really enjoying competitive play, but I decided to keep my Advance boxes alongside this as it is still a lovely set. New solo and co-operative kickstarter content has been backed this year.
7. Too Many Bones – the arrival of Undertow and other expansions has renewed my interest and gaming time. A treasured collection for me with some of the best components of any game not featuring models. New story cards and monsters are really exciting.
8. Descent 2nd Edition– i continue to paint the heroes and monsters set, Stewards of the Secret, and play the occasional game using the Road to Legend app.
9. Shadows over Hammerhal – the white dwarf quests early this year saw this back on my painting table to try and complete the set. I also purchased a foam insert and painted a skaven warband to flesh out a new dungeon style using the new chaos adversary cards. New undead nighthaunt rules were available in white dwarf July 2018.
10. Eldritch Horror – a return for this enjoyable co-op game now being played within the group. I enjoy the different scenarios and stories told, and in June bought the Forsaken Lore and Cities in Ruin expansions.
I am jumping around between games at the moment, recently i have solo played a game of Nemo’s War, Spirit Island, Ravage : Dungeons of Thunder, Darkest Night 2nd Edition, and Elder Signs. I have overloaded my game collection, and new games are finding it tougher to get an entry into my lists going forward. Latest game sales to fund new upcoming games and dropping off my lists were One Deck Dungeon and Dungeon Alliance.