This is a summary of the board games that are seeing my most interest, play, hobby time, funding and enjoyment in 2018. It is not a direct reflection of my all time favourite games and may include games that i do not own. This year continues with kickstarters but has become more about expanding my existing games.
1. Lord of the Rings LCG – i took a few months break, but i am back playing consistently again since May when I bought Grey Havens, Drowned Ruins and Temple of the Deceived. I then added Heirs of Numenor in June, and Wilds of Rhovanion in July.
2. Gloomhaven – made its return as the sunday group game of choice, with Kingdom Death just not engaging the group as much as expected. Everyone wanted to bring this game back instead, and it always provides a great afternoons play.
3. City of Kings – has become a favourite new solo game since its arrival. It is fairly quick to set up and get playing and rules are easy to follow despite running two heroes. This is a wonderful game and i backed the kickstarter character expansions earlier this year.
4. Shadows over Hammerhal – the white dwarf quests early this year saw this back on my painting table to try and complete the set. I also purchased a foam insert and painted a skaven warband to flesh out a new dungeon style using the new chaos adversary cards. New undead nighthaunt rules are available in white dwarf July 2018.
5. Thunderstone Quest – a great new addition to the Thunderstone series and i am really enjoying competitive play, but I decided to keep my Advance boxes alongside this as it is still a lovely set. New solo and co-operative kickstarter content has been backed.
6. Sword & Sorcery – a welcome return to the painting table during the summer holidays, and with news of some new content via kickstarter by the end of the year. I also picked up the Arcane Portal books from Ares.
7. Descent 2nd Edition – was recalled for some group games playing scenarios from Road to Legend. This older game just keeps hanging on, despite the arrival of Massive Darkness. I am still painting this game from time to time, trying to finish off the items i own before buying any more.
8. Eldritch Horror – a return for this enjoyable co-op game now being played within the group. I enjoy the different scenarios and stories told, and in June bought the Forsaken Lore and Cities in Ruin expansions.
I am jumping around between games at the moment, recently i have solo played a game of Nemo’s War, Spirit Island, Ravage : Dungeons of Thunder, Darkest Night 2nd Edition, Elder Signs and finally opened Dungeon Alliance and got it played just in time for the launch of the new kickstarter expansions. I have overloaded my game collection i know, and new games are going to find it tough to get an entry into my lists going forward.